Monday, December 2, 2013

Time travel

Everything has life to it, even if it isn't living. In an effort to support my friend and expand my curiosity I went on a tour of Broadway st in Downtown Los Angeles. I've lived 30 minutes away from L.A. most of my life,been to different events hosted in the city, and overall I've neighbored this city for most of my life, been in and out of it's streets, and I have yet to understand the essence of the city. Behind the busy street flooded with jewelry stores, dress stores and various random commodities,are these silent but historic buildings. Inside the buildings are time machines, pockets of history that take you back in time and hold the memory of what the city once was. On the tour we visited around eight different historic theaters. Walking by and inside these very historic buildings I would think to myself how driving through these streets I may not have even glanced at these storybook structures that simultaneous hold the memory of what once was and gives birth to new life. Many of the theaters have been renovated to new business, apartments, and more. Some stand untouched waiting for their rebirth. My two favorite places were the Los Angeles theater and the Bradbury Building. In the Los Angeles Theater I was amazed at how much it was in it's original form. I imagined myself walking in as one of the theaters guest when it was up running. In today's day and age going to the movies is an ordinary weekend event. Years ago going to the movies was an extravagant event requiring the finest clothes, and often took up the entire night. The Bradbury building to me held so much beauty, walking into the natural light gleaming down from the skyline on to the elegantly carved wood that created the walls, staircase and general structure of the building. There is still life in things that stand still, that are old and fade into the background as eyes glaze over them not recognizing their beauty. These buildings hold life because they hold history, and remind us what the city once was and what it might be again. Take the time to find and appreciate the beauty that you may over look. Whether it is in the people or places around you. For more on L.A. tours check out And special thanks to Jeremy for a great tour.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts