Tuesday, November 5, 2013

Define

How old are you? For the past two years I've tried to deter myself my answering that question. When I started working with a non profit, the person I worked with was around my age and also went to great lengths not to reveal her age. I was always aware of age discrimination or just the general judgements that comes from revealing one's age but I never chose to keep my age hidden until I thought it might cause a problem I was out to dinner the other night for a co workers 30th birthday and at the end of the night we all went around and said our ages.I don't know what possessed me to reveal my age, perhaps reluctant to giving into peer pressure but when I did lift of the veil shocks and awes came from everyone at the table. I discovered I was the youngest at the table, perhaps the youngest at the my job. The next day at work , I wasn't treated any differently or anything like that but I kept thinking about my age. There are times when age, gender, culture etc does come into play with different situations but I wonder if we will ever be able to just see eachother for who we really are, and not be concerned with things such as age, or any other physical attributes.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts