Sunday, May 11, 2014

Traveler's Hat : Lousiana

I have flown at almost all hours of the day, early mornings, red eye flights and the airport seems to always be busy. People walking, running, talking racing to their next departure. Call me strange but I kind of like being in the hussel and bussel of the airport. Knowing that in a few steps, and in an hour or so I will set foot on a machine that will lift me 1,000s of feet in there air and take me to a new location. It took me all day to fly from LAX to New Orleans. I had a 3 hour lay over in Charlotte, North Carolina which is one of the busiest airports. I got through with two beers and the airport's Wifi. When I finally landed, I was reminded that chivalry is not entirely dead when a young man helped me retrieve my bag from the overhead bin. Being greeted by my aunt and cousin in the airport was refreshing. Driving to my aunt's house, the night had already crept in and looking out the window all I could see was darkness. The trees were like shadows. We drove on the high way with no other lights escape our car and the cars we passed, running over the swamp water which is known to be a mysterious abyss. As we passed through the small town of Pochanitia , I saw the Western style building of mostly antique shops. There is something refreshing about having a change of scenery and being in the calmness of the country side. Advice to help you through your next airport visit: 1.Always get their early because getting through security always takes at least 20-30 mins 2. If you have an extra $85 lying around you can apply for TSA prep. It is a chance to walk through security pre screened, which means you'll get through faster and you won't have to do any of the annoying but necessary things such as taking off you shoes or taking your computer out of your bag. 3. Eat before you go, airport and airplane food is just expensive 4. Keep calm. I ran into a few disgruntle people. Being angry isn't gonna make you get to your plane faster 5. Bring entertainment: Book, tablet, music 6. Talk to people. You don't have to spend the entire airplane riding pretending like you are in an elevator and you can't make eye contact to the person next you. I had a lovely conversation with a lady and it made the plane ride go faster. ( results may vary) Trip Highlights 1.I woke up early to the sun gleaming through the curtains and the sound of birds chirping in the tree outside of my window. A refreshing change from being woken up by either my alarm , speeding cars, or someone taking out the trash from the restaurant I live next door to. 2. Visiting the Bug Museum in New Orleans. Somewhat conquered my fears as I stared into the eyes of spiders, cockroach, flies, beetles and much more. The butterfly garden was delightful. 3. The French Market in New Orleans, great place to get fresh smoothies, fresh produce, 4. Enjoy the quietness of the countryside and just lounging around.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts