Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Nassau: Snorkling

We had docked in Nassau , Bahamas around 7:30am and I was awaken shortly after to get ready for a snorkeling adventure less then a few hours away. As I rushed to the cafeteria on board the ship, driven by my hunger, my eyes gazed over to the site of the island put my hunger to a halt. Looking onto the island I felt that I knew what sailors must have felt like after seeing land for the first time in months, even though for me it had only been a day. My eyes were attached for a few moments on to the colorful houses with triangular rooftops that I would later discover were actually a variety of different shops. Shops tucked close together covering every inch of land I could see. The excitement of discovering something new, walking into something unfamiliar overwhelmed me. Soon after breakfast we exited the ship and joined fellow adventurers to prepare for our snorkeling adventure. I have to admit that my decision to go snorkeling wasn't based on my ability to swim. I figured for $29 why not spend an hour or two swimming in the Atlantic ocean. I just hoped that swimming was like riding a bike, because I hadn't swam in years. When just about every one who had signed up was huddled next to the sign that said Rainbow Reef Tour, we were all guided to the side of the pier where we met a smaller boat. As I stepped on the two story boat rocky boat holding on to one of the crew members for balance I tried to shake off any inhibitions and proceeded to the top deck so that I could get a better view and potential avoid any sea sickness. When everyone was aboard the engine started to roar and as we drove off gliding across the water. With the wind thrusting in my face I gazed at the ocean, unaware of my destination. Letting my skin soak up the sunlight. As my ears rang from the tunes of Bob Marley songs which seemed to be the most over played music in the Caribbeans. When the boat finally settled and the engine silenced, I flopped down with my fins and loosely fitted vest ready to dive in the water. When I stepped in, I knew the water was going to be cold but my mental preparation didn't prepare me for the physical contact. As I stepped down the ladder, only entering knee deeps, I waited for the chill to rise completely up my spine before lunging my entire body in. When most of my body was almost completely submerged , I desperately tread water struggling to stay afloat. My slightly panic state must have shown on my face because the boat attendances threw me a floaty that I put around my waist and instantly felt at ease. As I floated and swam along I felt like my younger self in the days that I was more adventurous and would ride waves at the beach with my entire body. I felt calm ,and also very small. Here I am only one person, although among many other people, I am swimming in the vast ocean, peaking into this new world. As small brightly colored fish with gills painted blue and yellow swam past me I would get this feeling of excitement and nervousness. I didn't want to ruin what I saw, scare them away or otherwise interrupt their way of life. And as I watched them I wondered how we must of looked to them. After a little over an hour my play date with the ocean had come to and end. And as I climbed back on to the boat, feeling the water drip from my body as if the ocean was letting go I me, I desperately tried to maintained balance as the boast seemed to rock even more then before. On the boat ride back, we passed by many extravagant homes that allegedly belong to different actors and actresses. Passing by the homes that probably cost more then I have made this far in life, I thought back to my adventure in the sea and I felt at peace. Life isn't about gaining it's about experiencing and growing from those experiences. Any material thing can be lost, taken or destroyed by an experience will be with you for ever, and no one can take that from you. Or maybe I'm just saying all this because I'm writing this in my small studio apartment while others live in an extravagant mansion.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts