Sunday, November 27, 2011

Try something new Sundays: Tap class


About: Every Sunday i will attempt to try something new, and I will write a review about it. It can be something big or small but it was to be something, or I have to go somewhere that I have never been before. At the end of the blog I will sum up my experience as something I will try again, maybe try again or not for me.

Sunday 11/20/11
Tap Class at Your Neighborhood Studio
O I'm a tap dancer, so taking tap class wasn't new to me. But what was new was the studio and the instructor. As a tap dancing I would like to say that tap is kind of the underdog of all the dance styles, so finding a tap class , correction finding an adult tap class has been challenging for me over the years. I was ecstatic to finally find one.
I walked in a few minutes late, it was raining that day I drove through about 20 different puddles just for the chance to tap with fellow tappers. When I first walked in there were about four or five dancers, including the instructor that were all in a circle. After I put on my tap shoes, I shyly moved closer to the circle, not sure if was suppose to enter, but I was relieved when one of the dances smiled and waved her hand for me to join in.
When I joined the circle all eyes were glued to one person, Tyler the instructor. His feet moved, and our feet followed his moves. His feet created a rhythm and our feet produced that same rhythm. It was almost like a conversation with out any words. He would do a move and we would try to mimic the same move. Both challenging and fun, for some moves were harder then others.
After a few minutes in the circle, Tyler greeted us and we started our warm up and then went straight into our across the floor exercises.
Across the floor exercises for those were are unfamiliar with dance class structure is where you get the technique part of the class. It is also where the instructor can cater to the different levels in a class. Tyler would demonstrate a set of tap steps which were were to repeat across the floor, or from one end of the room to the next. We would often to moves together as group then as pairs. As we went in pairs some couples did more advanced steps while others kept to the more basic or intermediate steps. It was nice to have Tyler really break down the moves to each person level of tap.
After a few across the floor exercises we then learned a routine to Sade.
It's always fun taping to different music and adding on to the rhythm and beats in the song.
Overall I had a great time, everyone in the class was friendly, and the vibes were great. The pace of the class is definitely for those who have tapped before but it was challenging and fun.

This is definitely something I will try again.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts