Tuesday, April 27, 2010

weekend in review


Friday: Friend invited me to Qunicera ( the Hispanic/latin version of a sweet 16). For those of you who don't know, i'm pretty notorious for going to Qunice's and weddings of people i have no direct relations to. Yes i am a party crashers. So i finally had an excuse to wear my heels, and my friend picked me up, as we drove by the hall, all we saw was this massive line of people waiting to get it. After looking at the line, we knew it was a indication of the parking situation. because really, when is there ever good parking in any part of L.A.
So when we did park. we walked up to the Hall, with a couple excuse me, squeezes and getting a little close to people i don;t know, we finally made it to the front. I could feel the vibrations of the music, as well as hear the people next to me, making up excuses to try to get it. And after five minutes of waiting, our VIP status kicked it and we got it.
I loved all the surprised looks i get for being the only black girl in a room of over 100 mexicans, but i never once received a bad look and once I got on the dance floor, thats where color lines don't matter.
as i;m bouncing up and down, shaking my hips and listening to the instruments, i thought about all the different styles of dance every culture had. and i thought like music, dance is pretty universal too.
and i swear almost every culture has their own version of the electric slide. okay it's probably not fair to say every culture, but i bet a majority of them do.

saturday: As a desperate attempt to escape the bumper to bumper L.A. traffic, my friend and I saw the sign CHINAtown, and with some aggressive driving, made it to our destination. it was my first official time in chinatown. i know i've lived 17 years near LA and never been to chinatown. To me there was a mixture of calmness and busyness. And what i loved most about my friend and I 's little adventure was how good it feels to just wander. We were in the city, really didnt know where anything was, had not initial purpose or reason to be there. Just enjoyed the suns raise, entertained out inner child as we wandered into almost every store that caught out eye.
felt like i was in a Maze, accept for all the feelings of feeling trapped. I got to satisfy my curiosity by starting in one place and ending up in another place. and all this wandering led us to some delicious and dare i say authentic, chinatown food.
I also was able to pick up a sword, me being a ninja and all i have to have a sword.
fyi if your walking down the street carrying a sword. you kind of feel like a bad ass.
so the question is now....WHO WANTS TO TEACH ME HOW TO USE MY SWORD? ( NO PUN INTENDED)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts